One of the difficulties faced by pet parents when purchasing vet CBD oil for their dogs is the dosage. Finding the right product for your pet according to its medical or dietary requirements is largely based on the dosage. This can be difficult because there is no standard CBD dosage. CBD oil can be given to dogs for pain, seizures, anxiety, improving appetite, and improving mobility. They are a safer alternative to pharmaceutical medicines that have negative side effects. The following steps will help you to calculate the optimal CBD hemp oil dosage for your pet.
Dogs are broadly classified into three categories according to their weight and the dosage varies according to this. The thumb rule based on this is as follows.
- Small – 0.022mg/lb or 0.05mg/kg
- Medium – 0.068mg/lb or 0.15mg/kg
- Large- 0.136mg/lb or 0.30mg/kg
You start by giving the lowest dose 1 to 3 times a day for a week and move up until you reach the optimal dosage. Smaller animals require a lower dosage. It also depends on the severity of the ailment or medical condition of your pet. The dosage can also vary over time. CBD oil has a stimulating effect as well.
Dosage for Medical Conditions
- Wellness: The smaller dosage can be given for preventive health care. But medium-dose can be administered for occasional issues like allergies, anxiety, and indigestion. It can be given once or twice a day. A smaller dose can be given if your dog is not sleeping due to pain or other discomforts.
- Chronic Health Issues: Pet parents generally administer medium doses for serious diseases like epilepsy and cancer. In the case of insomnia large dose is administered.
This might result in side effects. They are
- Interaction with other medicines. There are cases where giving CBD helped in reducing the dosage of other medicines as well.
- Inhibit CYP45 Enzyme that is required for the metabolism of medicines in the liver.
Tincture V/S Capsules Onset Time
The two choices available are CBD oil tinctures and oil capsules. They can deliver accurate doses and can be given easily. Tinctures can be given directly and absorbed fast into the bloodstream in 10 to 30 minutes. Capsules require 30 to 60 minutes before feeling the effect. The effects can last 6 to 8 hours depending on the dosage.
It is very important to consult with the veterinarian before giving hemp CBD oil to your dog. Also, not all dogs require CBD oil as a dietary supplement.